1. You begin almost every sentence with, “at camp I…”
2. You have a pile in your room for “camp stuff.”
3. You’re having dreams about that amazing moment on the first day of camp when get out of the car or the bus and smell the Greeley air for the first time!
4. You are doodling “18425” on your papers at school.
5. You and your camp friends have started guessing Color Days themes and breakout options.
6. You’ve already made your Visiting Day list in your head.
7. You’ve already made a playlist of potential songs for MTV Night.
8. The smell of bug spray makes you happy.
9. You know exactly what you want for your first canteen.
10. You check the weather in Greeley daily.
11. You post weekly countdown photos of your camp friends.
12. You sing camp songs and cheers at the kitchen table (sorry, moms and dads!).
13. You check the camp website or app every day to see the countdown to camp number get smaller and smaller!
14. You already know what you’re wearing to the first social.
15. You’re making room on your arm for friendship bracelets! That camp arm will be here before you know it!
It’s a time honored principle. Military leaders tell their elite troops. Indian Chiefs tell their scouts. Parents tell their children.
“If you ever feel lost, go back to the last place where you knew where you were. Start from there and you will find your way.”
For some of us, alumni, counselors, campers, Pine Forest is that place that we go back to. For many it may be the last place where we really knew where we were. Who we are. Where we are headed.
I’ve seen and heard about it many times from former PFCers at every age. After all, in everyone’s life there are times that we feel a little lost, in school, in our careers, in relationships. How do we get our bearings? How do we know where to go? What to do? “Go back to the last place where you knew where you were.”
Surrounded by friends, fresh air and fun, for many of us that place is camp. We are our true selves. We know where we are and where we are going.
Let camp be your North Star, your compass, your launching pad.
If you ever feel lost, start here.
Happy Nurse Appreciation Week to all of our nurses and health staff!
With summer approaching, we look forward to welcoming an all-star team of 18 nurses to Pine Forest and our brother and sister camps, Lake Owego and Timber Tops. Please join us by welcoming them for summer 2016! They will be an extension of home to take care of all the campers when they need extra TLC, from a belly ache to a sting. Our health center has a great collection of skills; it’s made up of nurse practitioners, ER nurses, school nurses and professionally trained military nurses. Your children are in great hands! You are welcome to call the health center and speak to our nurses anytime when camp is in session!
A big thank you to all of the 2016 nursing team, this week and every week. Camp is lucky to have all of you this summer!
Also, a special thank you to the team of doctors we will have at camp this summer. Our doctors are so dedicated to camp and we can’t thank them enough for all that they do.
In good health,
Rachel Waszczak and the rest of the PFC family